DOTAP Methyl Sulfate
1,2-dioleoyl-3-trimethylammonium-propane (DOTAP) methyl sulfate.
1,2-dioleoyl-3-trimethylammonium-propane (DOTAP) methyl sulfate
- Non-cytotoxic at working concentrations
- High efficiency and reproducibility
- Cost effective and easy to use
DOTAP MS (N-[1-(2,3-Dioleoyloxy)propyl]-N,N,N-trimethylammonium methyl-sulfate) is a proven reagent for the highly efficient liposomal transfection of DNA, RNA, oligonucleotides, and some other negatively charged large biomolecules. Several other techniques of introducing genetic material into cells may suffer from inadequate reproducibility, cytotoxicity, inconvenience of process, and low transfection efficiency. DOTAP avoids these drawbacks and works by encapsulating the negatively charged DNA within a spontaneously formed liposomal vesicle. This DOTAP/DNA complex can then fuse with the cell membrane and insert DNA directly into the cytoplasm. This mechanism of action ensures transfection occurs efficiently and with little to no cytotoxicity.
- CAS#: 144189-73-1
- Formula: C43H83NO8S
- Molecular Weight: 774.21
- Soluble In: Ethanol, chloroform, DMSO, DMF. Insoluble in water.
- Appearance: White solid
- Jain S, Kumar S, Agrawal AK, Thanki K, Banerjee UC. Enhanced transfection efficiency and reduced cytotoxicity of novel lipid-polymer hybrid nanoplexes. Mol Pharm. 2013;10(6):2416-2425. doi:10.1021/mp400036wSimberg, Dmitri, et al. “DOTAP (and other cationic lipids): chemistry, biophysics, and transfection.” Critical Reviews™ in Therapeutic Drug Carrier Systems 21.4 (2004).
- Storage: -20°C (Powder), 4°C (Formulated Solution)